We invite applications for two (2) highly motivated PhD students to pursue research in the field of interfacial flow and transport phenomena in porous media systems. The proposed projects include experimental, numerical and theoretical investigation of capillary driven flow in swelling porous media coupled with physicochemical surface processes, as well as multi-phase transport in deformable porous media. The project duration is 3.5 years (42 months). The selected individuals will receive a monthly stipend at a level of 6 portions, in accordance to the graduate school regulations (see here).
Requirements and Skills:
- A master’s degree (or exceptionally a four-year bachelor’s degree) in Mechanical, Aeronautical, Aerospace, Chemical Engineering, or related disciplines.
- Knowledge in fluid dynamics and/or heat and mass transfer.
- Previous experience in any measurement technique (PIV, fluorescent microscopy, liquid crystal thermography, IR thermography, shadowgraphy etc.) is desirable.
- Basic knowledge of numerical methods. Knowledge of any programming language, e.g., Python, C++, MATLAB and/or commercial/open source computational multiphysics software (Comsol, Ansys, OpenFoam) is an advantage.
- Ability to work within a highly collaborative research environment, good communication and organizational skills.
- Fluent in English.
To apply, please e-mail a short cover letter, a CV and grade transcripts to Asst. Prof. Alexandros Terzis ([email protected]).
Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellowships
Prof. Dr. Alexandros Terzis belongs to the Humboldt Network. Our group can therefore be an academic host for the prestigious Feodor Lynen Research Fellowship of the Alexander von Humboldt foundation. The fellowship supports postdoctoral and experienced researchers from Germany to conduct research abroad for a period of 6 to 24 months in their research area of interest. According to the regulations of the fellowship, our group commits contribution to one third of the fellowship amount, and we strongly support with proposal writing. Top candidates from Germany who wish to pursue an academic career are strongly encouraged to apply. For further information, please contact directly Alexandros Terzis ([email protected]).